Samyukta Fiction (SF) is the online platform for fiction run by the Samyukta Research Foundation, curated and edited by the scholar-writer Anupama Mohan.
The web-digest will feature issues centred broadly on themes of topical and literary interest. SF is looking for original, unpublished writing.
We prize literary merit over all else and are interested in work that is outstanding in form and content. Short stories or excerpts from longer works (such as a novel or fictionalised memoir) amounting to no more than 4000 words will be considered. Formally innovative writing that bends genre for creative purposes will also be considered, but please avoid sending us poetry, screenplays, drama, and nonfiction. (For poetry, please see Samyukta Poetry curated by Sonya J. Nair.) In exceptional cases, a longer work may be published.
While SF will publish only work in English, we invite writers and translators to collaborate and submit writings from other languages in English translation. Copyright remains with the writer (and/or translator) always; we only request that you do not republish the piece elsewhere for one year, and should you eventually republish a piece first run by SF, please acknowledge us in the republication.
At the end of the third year of SF, we propose to publish the best of our featured stories as an edited volume of short stories (either in print or digital form).
At this point, we are unable to pay our featured writers for publishing their work, but we hope that the opportunity and exposure brings you many rewards. We also hope that as we grow, we become, one day, an outfit that can also pay our writers a fair wage for the privilege of featuring their work.
Please submit your piece in accordance with the style guidelines provided below.
- Short stories or works of fiction up to 4000 words are solicited. Stories should be submitted in English language only. SF does not provide translational services. However, we encourage regional and global writers to submit their work in English translation. If you are translating from another language into English, please append a brief note about the translational process and the translator/s involved. If the translator and the writer are not the same person, please also attach a no-objection note from the translator.
- All work should be original and previously unpublished. If your work has featured on your personal blog or on someone else’s blog or social media, please inform us. Should we decide to publish your work, we will request you to remove all other versions from the web for a period of one year.
- Please submit your story as one MS Word file (.doc or .docx. or .rtf format only). Please do not submit work in PDF.
- Please email us at: email@example.com
- Please submit at the end of the story a blurb for the story (80 words) and your bio (50 words).
- The story should be typed in Georgia 12 point font, be single-spaced, and left-justified.
- We prefer British spelling, but should you choose another kind, please remain consistent.
- Please give us time to respond. If you have not heard from us in six weeks, please email us a reminder.
- All decisions of the editor are final.